THE HOGREFE COOKE BUILDING
Originally constructed in 1850 and 1865, the Cooke Building was a landmark in Downtown Sandusky that served many uses over the years. When purchased in 2017, H2 Properties engaged the Payto team to renovate the structure to its original glory as office and retail space. During renovation unfortunately, it became apparent that the condition of the building was beyond repair and required full demolition. The team re-grouped and approached the new design as a modern interpretation of the landmark building form, with modern amenities and construction. The use was modified to be ground floor retail, second floor offices and third floor apartments. The roof is capped with a deck that has spectacular views of the surrounding waterfront.
Retail space on the ground level totals up to 8,000 sf and has an interior connection to the adjoining Marketplace indoor entertainment complex. Parking for tenants is available at the interior courtyard. Apartments consist of 1 and 2 bedroom units ranging from 600 to 1,400 sf. Office space is built to suit and is demisable up to 10,500 sf. Downtown Sandusky is made up of a series of smaller scale storefronts constructed from the mid 1800’s thru the early 1960’s. The Arhcitectural design approach for the Hogrefe Cooke Building is to take what is a very large building footprint and articulate it as a series of smaller bay facades, better relating with the scale of downtown. Pedestrian scale is enhanced by fully glazed storefronts and a large amount of relievf on the ground level.